As a therapist, I believe that it is possible for people to make positive changes in their lives. Therapy can and does work.
The process of therapy often focuses on the difficulties people have with relationships, whether as an individual or as part of a couple, family or social group. Clients tell me about feeling stuck and behaving in ways that no longer work. They often describe being held back by negative feelings or the burden of carrying excess baggage from their past.
People often use these words to express what they are experiencing:
- Feeling down and discouraged
- Being unable to make decisions
- Being lonely, shy or afraid without reason
- Wishing for more or different kinds of relationships
- Being angry much of the time or avoiding conflict
- Having difficulty expressing a full range of emotions
If you are experiencing these or other kinds of distress, I would welcome the opportunity to work with you. I see individuals, couples and families and am comfortable working with you regardless of your sexual orientation.
In therapy, I can help you deal with many problem areas such as:
- Self-destructive behavior
- Past sexual or physical abuse
- Current abusive relationship
- Sudden loss/ change due to illness, accident, or injury
- PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
- Changes in family roles – becoming parents, leaving home, aging
- Sexual identity questions
- Living with chronic illness in yourself or others
Grief and loss
- Miscarriage, infertility
- Loss of functioning
- Communication problems
- Intimacy issues
- Conflict and power struggles
- Decisions around separation and/ or divorce
- Pre-marital counselling
- Difficulties with partners, spouses, children, and extended family.
- Results of growing up in a dysfunctional family
- Family with alcohol, drugs and/or control problems
- Adoption related issues
Feel free to contact me to discuss your concerns in more detail.